Youth Train in Trades:
Are you interested in trades?
Want to get year one of trades training under your belt—for free?
Camosun’s Foundation and Level 1 programs are run through the South Island Partnership. This means SD62 high school students can gain access to level 1 and Foundation programs for free while still in high school!
Students must be school aged and a student in SD 62.
Students can earn between 12-24 high school credits.
Program lengths vary, but in most cases Level 1 is available for apprentices as a 7 week option. For new students to a trade there are foundation programs available from anywhere between 25-40 weeks.
Pre-requisites vary, but most often 60% in Math 11 & Eng 11 with a 30 hour work experience in the related area are required.
In school Trades opportunities:
- students will gain general knowledge and skills ranging from diagnosis repair on engines and drive trains to engine rebuilding, starting systems, vehicle servicing, brakes and steering and
- A portion of the course will be based on theory. Students are expected to read, analyze and complete written tasks in addition to hands-on practical work.
Carpentry and Joinery
- Carpentry and joinery courses with Mr. Haupt will review safety, and explore aspects of wood products industry including wood selection and design. Advanced courses will explore cabinet making, furniture construction and wood product manufacturing. There will be choice and a build up of techniques so all levels are challenged and included.
- This is a hands on class with Mrs. Zimmerman, and students will work on a variety of projects encompassing all aspects of metalworking. As students progress in skill metal fabrication is a course that will build on previous skill, projects are assigned but students are encouraged to create their own self-designed projects.
Cosmetology and Esthetics
- Program uses a hands-on approach and allows students to gain knowledge in a variety of topics including braiding, updos, hair colouring, cutting and permanent waving.
- Students in the Esthetics classes will cover skin care, facials, lash and brow tinting and nail art.*For more information please contact Nadine Nicholson or Olivia Hyde