Youth Work in Trades (formally called SSA) 480 Hours of Paid Work = 16 credits
Go here for the YWIT pamphlet, YWIT – tri fold
- Students 15 years of age or older, who are working for a Trades Qualified Journey Person can earn up to 16 high school credits for 480 work based training hours. Students are registered as apprentices with the Industry Training Authority (ITA) and their hours are reported to the ITA.
- Students are eligible for a $1,000.00 Scholarship if, The Ministry of Education’s criteria are met, see details below.
- Students can connect with their school Career Teacher or Coordinator for more information.
- For additional information please check the ITA website.
$1000 Award Criteria
Students who are eligible for the Youth Work in Trades Award will automatically be considered. There is no need to apply. To be eligible, students must have:
- Been registered with the Industry Training Authority as a Youth Apprentice
- Graduated with a Grade 12 Dogwood Diploma or Adult Dogwood
- Successfully completed WRK 11A, WRK 11B, WRK 12A, and WRK 12B
- Maintained a C+ average or better on Grade 12 numbered courses *
- Reported a total of at least 900 hours to the ITA by December 31 of the school year the student turns 19 **
* Note: A student’s graduation transcript only includes the courses the student passes. The Youth Work in Trades Award uses all Grade 12 numbered courses in the calculation of the grade point average.
** To be eligible for a Youth Work in Trades Award, a student must complete 900 hours of work-based training by December 31 of the school year the student turns 19. 480 hrs of work for course credits, and then the remaining 420 hrs on their own time, but before Dec of the year they turn 19.