Work Experience 12A and 12B (WEX)
- Work Experience 12A and 12B courses are offered to students in Grades 11 and 12 and provide 4 credits each.
- WEX12 A requires a minimum of 90 hours of work experience at a school approved work placement. WEX12B requires 100 hours. Hours from a current job may also be used after registering for the course and completing a Paid Work Experience Training Plan.
- As well as the hours spent within the work force, students complete booklet assignments on self-assessment, job seeking skills, career planning and post-secondary education and training outside their school timetable.
- Work Experience 12 is an excellent opportunity for those students who need credits to graduate and for those who need volunteer hours as a pre-requisite for post-secondary applications.
Youth Work in Trades (formally called SSA) 480 Hours of Paid Work = 16 credits
- Students 15 years of age or older, who are working for a Trades Qualified Journey Person can earn up to 16 high school credits for 480 work based training hours. Students are registered as apprentices with the Industry Training Authority (ITA) and their hours are reported to the ITA.
- Students are eligible for a $1,000.00 Scholarship if, The Ministry of Education’s criteria are met, see details below.
- Students can connect with their school Career Teacher or Coordinator for more information, or contact the Youth Work in Trades Coordinator at email@example.com
- For additional information please check the ITA website.
$1000 Award Criteria
Students who are eligible for the Youth Work in Trades Award will automatically be considered. There is no need to apply. To be eligible, students must have:
- Been registered with the Industry Training Authority as a Youth Apprentice
- Graduated with a Grade 12 Dogwood Diploma or Adult Dogwood
- Successfully completed WRK 11A, WRK 11B, WRK 12A, and WRK 12B
- Maintained a C+ average or better on Grade 12 numbered courses *
- Reported a total of at least 900 hours to the ITA by December 31 of the school year the student turns 19 **
* Note: A student’s graduation transcript only includes the courses the student passes. The Youth Work in Trades Award uses all Grade 12 numbered courses in the calculation of the grade point average.
** To be eligible for a Youth Work in Trades Award, a student must complete 900 hours of work-based training by December 31 of the school year the student turns 19. 480 hrs of work for course credits, and then the remaining 420 hrs on their own time, but before Dec of the year they turn 19.
Grad Transitions 12
- This course is required for graduation and will be graded as “Requirements met – RM” upon successful completion.
- For more up to date information regarding Royal Bay’s Grad Transitions course, please visit: www.rbsscareers.weebly.com